So pleased to welcome back reader Sandra for Part 2 of her musings about what hats designed by Dutch milliners she’d like to see Queen Máxima wear. I forgot to mention yesterday that Sandra is from Tauranga, New Zealand in the aptly named Bay of Plenty and has read Royal Hats since 2012. She writes, “generally it’s the first website I look at in the morning. Better than the news sites!” Thanks, Sandra! I’m honoured to be part of your morning routine! Sandra’s post today picks up where yesterday’s ended.
5. Eudia (Eveline Gentis-Smits): A young milliner who has had work in Vogue and Elle. Fascinator Lady Amherst is gorgeous and would suit Maxima’s flair. Ditto Paradise Luise and Fascinator Wave.
Eveline even makes a tiara! Here’s her 2-step guide to finding the right hat for your face.
6. Mirjam Nuver: She’s a bit ‘out there’ … but so is our darling Max. I could definitely see Max in the Solitary Ridge wide brim hat in wool felt, purple is one of her colours (and it comes in black), and the Claque B7 wool felt hat.
The Cocktail-Handprinted Navy would take some carrying off (but so does a lobster necklace) and since she seems to like doughnut hats and other oddities, she could try the Full Moon.
I also like this swirled black halo brim hat:
and this red wool hat:
7. Elisabeth Koch: Dutch milliner based in China. The Up+Down Red Felt Brim I could definitely see on Max, and the Orange Swirl.
Ms Koch is designing for a different target market but I have no doubt Max’s vivaciousness could carry off some of these pieces (just don’t let her see the wrap hats). And as we were looking at Princess Margaret’s ‘garden on a head’, how about the Snowball? Or, if someone were to shove me, the Red Nest (crownless). Have to say the photos on this site are not of the quality one might expect of a showcase.
I think she’d carry off the brown felt hat with feathers and even the yellow felt cloche and feathers hat from the Anna Karenina collection (although not in yellow, please – and I didn’t even open the Turbans file).
The ‘Pink Florentin’ with folded brim in the Breakfast at Tiffany’s collection has the sort of drama Max likes and I love what I can see of the pink hat with sweetpeas in Here Comes the Sun Ready-to-Wear collection.
The green felt and feather hat in The Animals would fit her wardrobe too.
9. Elmira Exclusive Hats (Russia-born Elmira de Raaf): The Brown hat includes the sort of animal print Max loves, and the Green cocktail hat has the same vibe. The Edwardian feel of the Burgundy felt hat, plus its deep, luxurious colour, would be great on Max. The website says Elmira has designed for the Dutch Queen (but doesn’t say whether it was Beatrix or Max).
10. Maria Etkind Millinery: Her collections are very small but having something on the head of the Queen at a high-profile event would undoubtedly be a boost – let’s try Muses from the MG17 Faith collection, or Petal Twist or Blue & Green 3D Waves from the Spring-Summer 17 collection.
Thanks so much to Hat Queen for all work creating this splendid blog that we love so much – and for the delicious opportunity to spend so much enjoyable time down rabbit holes researching this guest post!
Sandra- Thank you for this wonderful post. I think you’ve found an amazing potential collaboration between Queen Máxima and Herma De Jong. That ‘Pasja’ design would be a knockout on her! There’s something in each of these groups of designs that I think could work really well (some, perhaps, with a few tweaks) on the Dutch queen. Let’s hope she follows some of your suggestions!